Disappointment happens.

13 Aug

I’m hoping to post an extensive recap of our vow renewal when I’m able to share the video, but for now, I really just want to share about the day leading up to the ceremony.

Months ago, we started talking and preparing for this event.  After the hottest, driest summer we’ve had since the 1920’s, the chance of cold, rainy weather was about 1%.

Well, guess what. We have the luck of 1%.  No, let me rephrase that. When it comes to losing, we have the luck of 99%, when it comes to winning, the odds fall on a 1% chance that never comes to pass with reward.

So, lucky us wake up to a windy, cold (60 degrees in August), rainy day for this amazing outdoor ceremony planned to replace the horrible memories with new, better ones.

I’d say the memories had the potential of really not being better and actually being even more of a disappointment that on the second time around, we couldn’t win either.

But, leave it to the man in my life to always come through;  when it was 4:30 and we had just dropped off the kids and we were driving in the rain to get something to eat and finish all the setting up, to keep speaking and preaching truth to my heart.

He said, “We can’t always pick our circumstances, but we can choose how we respond to them. And I am going to take this day and make the most of it.  We can still have a great time with our friends and have a lot of fun if we want to.  It doesn’t mean it isn’t a little disappointing, but I am not dwelling on the disappointment. I’m going to have the best time I possibly can.”

I have heard teachings on this before.  But the point is, in the heat of making a decision whether or not to sulk and focus on the feelings of loss or whether or not to concentrate on everything that was going amazingly and keep perspective of all the blessings we have, I have a husband who was not willing to let me make the wrong decision.

This is an example of marriage at its finest.  The other mate holding up the person who needs encouragement, strength, grace, forgiveness, mercy, love or simply a reminder of truth when they are struggling to get there by themselves.  That is why two are better than one.  That is why man and woman are most complete in Christ together.  That is why the picture of Christ’s relationship to the church is modeled in truest form through a loving marriage. And that is why the memories of the day have no disappointment in them and an overwhelming amount of joy, love, and abundant blessings even though not everything went as we originally planned.

Practical Application:

When disappointment happens:

Who do you surround yourself with?  Those who wallow with you, or those who speak truth?

When those you love face disappointment, are you the person who sinks with them, or the one who looks for the prize in the circumstance and helps carry your friend or spouse to the prize?

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: